Aqueous Parts Washer – It seems simple enough. You have parts that need cleaning. So, go out and get a parts washer to do it for you.
Unfortunately, it’s not that simple.
Choosing the best aqueous parts washer for you is very much like buying a car. You don’t go out and buy the first one you see. It’s a big investment and there are many things to consider in making your decision. The same holds true when choosing a parts washer.
Before you begin to look, take a moment to answer some basic questions. This will help define your needs and then you can begin looking for a system that matches your objectives. There are eight things you need to consider before choosing a parts washer. They are:
- What type of substance do you need to remove from the part (for example: oil, dirt, grease, metal shavings)?
- How big or small is the part you need to clean?
- What are the physical characteristics of the part? (What is the material? Can it be rotated? Are there blind holes or thermal limitations?)
- How many parts per hour or minute do you need to process?
- What are your space requirements for the system (the dimensions of the area it will occupy)?
- What are your cleanliness specifications and how do you test for cleanliness?
- What is the next step in your process after the parts are clean?
- How are you currently cleaning your parts?
This is by no means a comprehensive list of all the factors you need to consider. However, answering these questions can help narrow your options and will provide your vendor or manufacturer with a precise idea of your needs. From there you can both begin digging into the details about system capabilities and possible options that can enhance or help achieve your cleaning objectives.